- Most fruits are naturally low in fat, sodium, and calories.
- Fruits have no cholesterol.
- Fruits rich in potassium (like bananas) may help to maintain healthy blood pressure.
- Fruits have dietary fiber, which helps reduce blood cholesterol levels and may lower risk of heart disease.
- Fruits have vitamin C, which is important for growth and repair of all body tissues, helps heal cuts and wounds, and keeps teeth and gums healthy.
- Fruits have folic acid, which helps the body form red blood cells.
- Fruits taste good!
Last summer, we featured a story about Jack, a new Alliance Coal employee who was working hard to lose weight. After the first 17-weeks of being involved in a weight loss program, Jack had lost an impressive 27 pounds.
We’re happy to report that Jack is still working hard and, as of January, has lost a total of 75 pounds and hit his goal weight! (more…)
Feeling run down and tired can be nothing more than the result of a busy schedule and too little sleep. Or it can be the symptom of something much more serious, as Johnny Wilson recently discovered.
Johnny stopped by the Warrior Coal Health Center to see NP Gina Elder and explained how he had been feeling. NP Gina did a blood workup to see if there were signs of anything unusual. And there were. Based on her review of the results, NP Gina immediately sent Johnny for a colonoscopy, which uncovered a leaking blood vessel that needed to be repaired, as well as six polyps to be removed. (more…)